Bars pre 1967
January 1940 to September 1967
Although there were no 'gay' bars or clubs until after decriminalisation in 1967, gay men and women often met in tolerant 'straight' bars, often provideing much needed revenue for landlords down on their luck. During this time gay life in the city was spread out and people met in numerous bars, clubs and coffee shops all over the city centre and beyond. Many of the pre 1967 meeting places have long since been demolished, many to make way for the Inner Ring Road developments of the 1960s.