February 1905 to April 1987
The Silver Slipper was a large Victorian underground public toilet, curved in shape. It was Birmingham's most notorious cottage for many years, until it was closed in the late 1980s. It got its
nickname from a ballet supply shop opposite whose sign was a large
silver ballet slipper! The whole area around Station Street was called the 'The Slipper' and was a popular haunt of rent boys and gay men looking for sex right up until the early 1990s.